Saturday, February 10, 2007

Samson's obedience lesson, or was it mine?

What a day! We had our first and last lesson today. On the way there I told Samson, at $25.00 a half hour, he better be a fast learner. The lesson was held at Creature Comforts. A boarding, spa type place set back in the beautiful pasture land of Lake Junaluska. After signing in, which was an experience in itself, the teacher let Sam explore the lobby for a few minutes. She said he needed to explore in order to relax. Then we went through the spa room, which really intimidated Sam a little. Me too for that matter. It had all these tables with nooses hanging from them and crates. Then we went into the actual classroom. A really large room with carpet and the rubber runways up and down. she wanted him to sniff around a bit and get comfortable. Me, I was freezing, I don't think the heat was on. But as long as Sam is comfortable. Then we got started. She said that based on how BIG he is and was going to become, we should start with Recall- he comes when I call him and then... Sit. These were to be the two, (only two) that we will work on this half hour for $25.00. She had a bowl full of chunks of cheese sitting on the table, ( which might explain the mouse that was running back and forth across the room) . We each took a handful and the lesson began. I was quite impressed with Sam's learning capabilities. She would tell Sam to come to her and give him a piece of cheese. Then she would tell him to sit and give him another piece of cheese. I felt a sense of pride. MY DOG is Smart. After several rounds of this, she told him to take a break and play for a minute. Then it was my turn. I puffed up and called to Sam... "Come Same, Sam come.. come on Sam". Nothing! Next thing I know, She was telling me all the things I was doing wrong. Wait a minute. something is wrong here. She kept telling me the things I needed to work on. My voice, my stance, don't say something twice. Hello? What is wrong with this picture? Well, no time to find out, my 30 minutes is up. So I asked, "What should Sam work on this week". She replied "Nothing, but you need to work on the following..." " OK, then does he have homework today?" "NO, he has had a busy time here today, he needs to rest today, but here are two books for you to go home and read"! Seriously... it was a good lesson. She was great, and definitely knows what she is doing. Now, I just hope I can keep it up. One thing I am very grateful for is a very tired Samson. He has napped for the last half hour. He is worn out from all that exploring, playing, eating cheese and making me look bad. All that for $25.00 !!!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Eww, you didn't tell me there were mice running around. I'd have been out of there! And cheese?! Mom, I think this lady is scam.

Suzi O said...

Well, at least you didn't have to put on the prong collar and then watch her jerk the heck out of him! Oh the days of my Pepsi-Boy's training!

Just remember, you have to be the alpha...HAH! I'm not the alpha here, but the animals love me because Mom=food. mmmm good love!