Saturday, April 14, 2007

My Sis is home...

Well not home, really. If she were home she would be here in the mountains with me. But she is back in Florida where I can call her anytime I want. For those of you that do not know, she has been on a cruise for a week. A LOOOONG week.

Just this morning I found myself wanting so badly to "cry on someone's shoulder" or, "bend someone's ear" and it is, and always has been, my sister who has had that priveledge. ( well, I don't know if she would call it that). She wasn't available and it crushed me. I didn't know she would be home later in the day or I would have saved it all up and downloaded it all on her this evening. Lucky for her I thought she wasn't coming home until tomorrow.

But since I did not know she was home, I had to resort to other measures to let out all my frustrations. My floors have never been cleaner. All the the items on the very top of my kitchen cabinets have been run through the dishwasher. The dresser drawers are cleaned out.
and the furniture has been dusted. Twice. Still I was restless.

Then... it came to me... I mean really did just come to me in the middle of nowhere. ( I am not saying my brain is the middle of nowhere) ... but the words of the 23rd Psalm came over me and through me and filled me up. I had not looked at his verse or even heard it spoken in forever.
I know it refers to to our victory over death, but today it meant much more to me than that.

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want. I don't have to figure everything out on my own - God will guide me, if I let him.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters. Ah, green pastures and quiet waters. That sounds wonderful... I need to be still and rest in His assurance. Contentment. That is what I need to strive for.
He restores my soul, He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name sake. Ok, I need to stop and sit on this one for awhile. HE restores my soul! Nothing else can do it but Him.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. I will fear no evil for you are with me, your rod and your staff they comfort me. For me today, it is not death I fear. It is temporal things. Financial struggles, work issues, family concerns. IF God can walk with me through deaths door when it is time, then He can certainly bring me through the things I am fearful of now. Comfort me, Lord.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. God is going to protect me. I just need to remain faithful and know that He is in charge.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. What a promise! How could I forget this for one moment. In the church where I came to know the Lord, we sang a hymn " Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life" I hadn't thought of that song in years. I bet I will be singing it for a few days now. And dwelling in th house of the Lord. How awesome. My sister will be there too.
For anyone reading this... I don't claim to be a theologian, just sharing how God uses certain scripture when you least expect it to speak to you.
For Peggy... If you read this... I hope I never take you for granted. You are one of the rods and staffs God uses to comfort me.

No comments: